Music and craftsmanship are a big part of Bill’s heritage. His father and grandfather are both excellent craftsmen and mechanical designers, and his mother’s family exudes artistic and musical talent. So in 1996, while searching for a new guitar to satisfy his desire for a high quality fingerstyle instrument, those who know of Bill’s talent and ability suggested that he build his own. After stringing up his first instrument and hearing the clarity and beauty of its music, he decided luthierie must become a full time pursuit. Charis Acoustic was born!
The demanding skills and attention to detail required to design and build a superior guitar are not new to Bill. During his 15 years in the engineering profession, he was recognized on a number of occasions for his outstanding work in the industry, including:
- Receiving grants for seven United States Patents
- Receiving three defensive publications
- Being selected by the GM President’s Council as one of the top 100 individuals of GM in 1995
- Receiving the prestigios Charles “Boss” Kettering award from Delphi Delco Electronics Systems in 1995
- Being inducted into the Delphi Automotive Innovation Hall of fame in 1999With such a rich combination of genetics, family influence, and education, it’s no wonder Bill has found his way to this unique pursuit.